Does Python compete with Java?

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Apr 6 00:05:30 EDT 2004

kk wrote:
> I'd like to know if you guys think Python really has a chance to
> compete with Java, .NET, and any other commercially backed language.

It depends on what you mean by "compete".

Python is never going to have the same combination of hype
and money behind it as those other languages you mention.

But is that a bad thing or a good thing?

I think it's a *good* thing. Python is succeeding very well
by just existing and actually being well designed and useful,
as opposed to having a large company's marketing machine trying
to tell everyone that it is.

It sells itself to those who are willing to look. It doesn't
need or want any hype.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,