Python is the best and most popular general purpose scripting language; the universal scripting language

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Apr 11 22:28:07 EDT 2004

Roy Smith wrote:

> rstephens at vectron.com (Ron Stephens) wrote:
>>Python is the best and most popular general purpose scripting
>>language.
>
> Which raises the question, exactly what makes something a "scripting"
> langauge?  When I tell people I do Python, they often say something
> like, "that's a scripting language, right?".  My usual response is
> something along the lines of "Well, I suppose that depends on who you
> ask" and I'm not sure what to say after that.
>
> So, what makes something a "scripting language" as opposed to a
> "programming language"?

For anyone thinking of adding to this thread, please consider
reading (or re-reading) the following threads first, and post
only if you have something original to add.  It would make our
good friends at Google feel like all their hard work (and Python)
code hadn't gone to waste.  <wink>

 From 2002:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=dazD8.13642%24ph2.436138%40news4.ulv.nextra.no

 From 2001:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=mailman.994804336.23495.python-list%40python.org

 From 2000:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=y39V5.524%24OC.159868%40typhoon.aracnet.com

 From 1999:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=37c66347.518331%40news.netset.com

At this point, Guido needed the time machine back and I had to stop
searching...

-Peter