Method for providing a trail period on a program

simo simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 13:07:51 EDT 2004

Dang Griffith <google0 at lazytwinacres.net> wrote:

> Look at http://www.macrovision.com/, formerly (or now owner of)
> GlobeTrotter Software.  It's pretty easy to use, and you can
> set it up so users can "activate" their temporary
> copy without having to get a new copy of the software.

You are shitting me right? FlexLM! You know everybody hates that
software as it is such a pain in the arse for the legitimate user?!
Plus of course, it's very easy to hack - jees, you might as well go
back to dongles!

I have no advice for putting a trial period into your software, but I
can say that a function-limited version is certainly not the way to go
- if you're giving out a demo, then it needs to show the user the
power features to impress, so disabling them is stupid.

Maybe disabling saving/printing or something..... Anything which uses
the Windows Registry is just pointless, or even the timestamp of the
install directory.

Of course, today the money is in support, not what comes on the disc,
just look at Linux.