Does Python compete with Java?

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Wed Apr 14 21:54:34 EDT 2004

A. Lloyd Flanagan wrote:
> Dave Benjamin <ramen at lackingtalent.com> wrote in message news:<slrnc79idf.hij.ramen at lackingtalent.com>...
>
>>Over the long term, I think Python's biggest key to success will be that we
>>will still be able to read the programs that we are writing now.
>

> No argument here :)

I don't quite understand, does Python have to compete with Java? In many
cases, the programming language used to write an application almost has
no relevance to the acceptance of the application. Although we thought
(think) that a compiled language is faster, better than an interpreted
language like python, it has some contradictions. I was researching for
an assignment some time back on 2GL and 3GL and the general dogma is
that the lower the language, the faster it should run, but a paper in
ACM digital library showed that a program in Ada can run substantially
faster than one written in assembly.

What I see is that Python and Java can be synergistically linked, for
example, through Jython, can be more constructive than competition...

Maurice