emergent/swarm/evolutionary systems etc

Peter MacKenzie peter9547 at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 4 12:48:19 EDT 2004

So much to take in, so little time.  I'm torn between the creative urge to
go forth and embark on this project, and the more pressing need to
study-study-study for exams, so please bear with me if I appear a little
distracted.

My 'psychology' is one that responds better to open possibilities than
closed boundaries.  Compared to the expansive potential of python, I'd
likely become disenchanted with the restrictive structure of spreadsheets.
Although I could launch straight into the simpler spreadsheet stuff, getting
it to do really interesting stuff may prove tricky in the long run, and I'd
be constantly itching to try something more 'fun'.

A little investment in learning to program would leave me a happier person,
in the short and the long term.  Since it's a skill I'd like to acquire
anyway, I'm inclined to lean that way regardless of the relative merits of
spreadsheets vs. python.  It's likely that the added difficulty of
implementing it in an unfamiliar format would be taken into consideration in
the grading of the dissertation (as is standard practice where the project
is faced with obstacles), but do you think that python would make for a
'better' dissertation?

As for whittling away a couple of months on background reading, I doubt I'd
have the patience.  I like to launch straight into things, learning as I go
and doing stuff my own way.  Generally, I only refer to other peoples' work
when I'm really stuck, or when I don't know enough about the subject to even
hazard a guess at where to start.  Doubtless I'll get really stuck at many
points in my simulation attempts, as I've been really stuck just trying to
get the simplest of code to work, but I don't see myself pouring over the
arcane tomes for longer than is strictly necessary.  Not that I intend to be
sloppy about my reading - just concise.

Also, the 2-month schedule should perhaps be clarified.  The actual deadline
is the beginning of December, but I'd like to keep fairly pessimistic about
the time I'll have, given course considerations, the limited amount of
effort I can spare before the first of June (end of exams) as well as the
tendency of field work and data mining to eat time like candy.  Still, if
push comes to shove, I could makes thing fit, one way or another.

news:106uj10g611v0f5 at corp.supernews.com...