[Jython-users] ANN: SPIRO - a cPython->Jython bridge (amongst other uses)

David McNab rebirth at orcon.net.nz
Fri Apr 9 06:20:34 EDT 2004

Hi,

Announcing SPIRO - an easy cPython to Java bridge.

Background:

I spent some time looking for ways to interface between python and java.

Jython is great - but it comes at a price where one must forego all
python modules containing binaries.

Pyro is great too - but presently cannot support running servers under
jython.

I tried JPE - but its brittleness rules it out for distributing code to
others.

So I gave up and wrote a new ORB myself:
SPIRO - Simple Python Interface to Remote Objects
http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/spiro

SPIRO allows cPython programs to manipulate Java objects via jython.
While it's not exactly CORBA-compliant, it is an easy and simple way to
bridge between cPython and Java, with the advantage that it doesn't
require any binary compilation.

The server-side of SPIRO can be easily built into a standalone .jar
file, which together with the cPython Spiro client class, will give your
cPython programs access to the full catalogue of java software.

Please note - this is an early alpha release, so stability is not
guaranteed. If you're a tinkerer, and you feel like joining the
development effort, let me know and I'll open a sourceforge account.

Present limitations - no support for subclassing Java objects in
cPython, no support for exceptions.

Cheers
David