Wrapper round x86 Assembler

Fuzzyman michael at foord.net
Wed Apr 14 15:05:42 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<C72dnV4KRqbJreDdRVn-jA at powergate.ca>...
> Fuzzyman wrote:
>
> > In summary - I'm better off learning C and how to write Python
> > extensions !!
> > It's just a very 'undynamic solution'.
> >
> > Ho hum.... I've been trying to avoid delving into the arcane
> > makefile/linker/compiler chain mysteries... probably be more useful
> > anyway.
>
> That is where Pyrex comes in.  You aren't supposed to have to know
> all those gory details then.  Just some of them. :-)
>
> > I'm 'aware' of the concepts of memory allocation, garbage collection
> > etc - but I'm sure there's plenty more to learn..........
>
> I doubt you'll need to encounter those if you're just trying to
> squeeze performance out of some bit-twiddling code.
>
> -Peter

More trying to learn some new techniques / tools. The bit twiddling
was just a very good example where assembler might actually have been
the *simplest* solution.

Anyway thanks for your help - maybe I'll look into pyrex as a way of
coding python extensions.

The only compielr I have is gcc under mingw - and I'm not at all sure
it's set up right. Does pyrex still need a C-compiler or *is* pyrex a
compiler ? Oh well... I'm sure I'll work it out.

Thanks

Fuzzy