module not callable - why not?

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Sun Apr 18 14:35:38 EDT 2004

Quoth "Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com>:
| Hung Jung Lu wrote:
|
| > In prototype-based OOP, you don't have any of these problems.
|
| most of those problems don't apply if you're using Python in the "old way".
|
| it's not like you *need* metaclasses, singleton patterns,
| staticmethods/classmethods, or class/module properties to
| write rock-solid, easily maintained, efficient, and scalable
| Python programs.   Python works just fine without them.

For that matter, I would rather expect software written without them
to be more solid and easily maintained.

It seems to me that it is easier to reason about the code you're
looking at, when it works within a simply structured system and
relies on thoughtful design for its elegance, instead of gimmicks.

I doubt it's just historical accident that OOP languages more or
less all have the class concept, or the type concept.  This is an
organizing principle, helpful for human brains.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com