Newbe-books

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Thu Apr 29 17:08:16 EDT 2004

Sarge wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm newbe of python, but not of programming (a lot of Matlab, some
> C, a bit of C++), I want a *good* book on python for self-study.
> I'm short of money, I don't want to make any mistakes, so does
> anybody have any suggestions (buy this-don't buy that)?

My suggestion: don't buy anything, yet. Work through the official
tutorial; start converting the more self-contained of your Matlab code
to Python; ask questions here, on the Tutor list[1], and the SciPy list
as appropriate. Read the source code of the packages you think you'll be
using: you'll get a better idea of how to code in Pythonic (or
SciPythonic) idiom this way.

In my experience, this "jump right in, the water's warm" approach
obviates much of the need for an introductory dead-tree book on the
language. Which isn't to say that such books aren't good or worthwhile,
but when you're strapped for cash, it's better to exhaust the freely
available material[2] before heading to the bookstore. Then again, if
reading book-length material on the computer screen makes your eyes all
googly or you want something you can read on the bus, then dead-tree is
the way to go, but I have no suggestions for you.