python web programming / CMS

asdf sdf asdf at asdf.com
Thu Apr 22 15:48:12 EDT 2004

> 1. Am i correct in thinking i would have to add for instance FastCGI to
> the Spyce install in order to get it working?
>
> 2. In jsp, i often used my own java objects in the code. Can you also do
> this with Spyce? For instance, if i would have to get data from a db, i
> would
> make an object that implements code to do this and then create an instance
> of that object in a PSP. Is this doable?
>
> 3. What databases can be accessed from Python?

i've only played a bit with Spyce.

you can use it as plain CGI, or you can use FastCGI or modpython.  your
choice.

you can invoke python scripts which can make database connections.

database support isn't built into Spyce.  you get the python-wrapper for
whatever database you want.  a bunch are available.  certainly all the
major databases.

modpython has recently greatly expanded its scope.  now it includes PSP
style functionality.  also session support.  seems to overlap pretty
heavily/maybe subsume what Spyce does.

i tried asking on the modpython group for a comparison of modpython PSP
v. Spyce PSP, especially  in terms on completeness, stability, scope, etc.

i triggered an interesting discussion of PSP-style templates, but no one
directly answered my question.

Be advised also there are other python PSP-style projects out there,
including one named PSP.

Also I hope you realize none of these projects are a CMS framework of
any sort.  They are tools with which you could write your own.

I assume your CMS requirements are very minimal or you would avoid
trying to reinvent the wheel.