Python editors for Windows question

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Wed Apr 21 16:23:44 EDT 2004

PythonWin (part of the pywin32/win32all package) has limited
autocomplete.  Basically it will auto-complete for modules which are
loaded, so if you import cgi in the interactive session then you will
have autocompletion for cgi. If the module is not loaded, then PythonWin
uses a simpler algorithm that searches through the current file looking
for x.y notations where x matches your currently-begun x.

PythonWin also has very nice ctrl+space identifier completion which
searches back/forward from where you're typing, so you can type longer
identifiers with just a few keystrokes.

Would be nice to have that same set of mechanisms in all Python
editors.  I believe Boa has auto-completion in much the same way.  Not
sure about the other win32 editors.  I think the Activestate IDEs may
have auto-completion, but again, not sure.

Good luck and welcome,
Mike

Dustin wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I just started programming in Python last night, and I've really enjoyed my
>experience so far. I would like to know if there is a Windows editor that
>recognizes Python and will support a module syntax/definition lists For
>instance, let's say that I set form = cgi and then when I hit the period
>(".") on the keyboard, a list of objects shows up, such as FieldStorage(),
>etc.. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!
>
>Dustin

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
  http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/