Difficulty Finding Python Developers

A B Carter gnosticray at aol.com
Thu Apr 15 08:26:20 EDT 2004

pm_mon at yahoo.com (Paul Morrow) wrote in message news:<65cbc3dd.0404141018.36d9d4ce at posting.google.com>...
> For those who've asked...
>
> This particular project is essentially a web-based registration
> application.  We'll probably want to use mod_python to serve the
> pages, and Oracle for the database backend.  It will have things like
> a white-paper area that requires registration to access, an opt-in/out
> email component, and the like.
>
> But we do want the developer to be physically here (in Atlanta).

The fact is that if you go to a job site and key in Java, Perl and
Python you are going to get something like a 50 to 10 to 1 ratio of
not to do.

1 - Don't blame mgt for being concerned, that's there job.

2 - Don't blame recruiters if they say they're having problems finding
people with Python experience, it's probably because (just guessing
here) that they're having problems finding people with Python
experience.

In general, don't pretend there isn't a problem and blame others for
saying there is. Once you accept that, you are half-way home:

1 - Recognize that an extra effort will be required to find an
experience Python programmer. So put a posting on monsters and other
job sites (don't forget dice.com an excellent site for IT
consultants). Also, educate the recruiters about Python, for instance
make sure they understand the connection between Python and Zope.

2 - Start setting expectations with management. For example, explain
that if there are not a lot of Python programmers it's because it's a
new language that
it builds on the strengths of langauges such as C++, Java and perl
while avoiding their weaknesses. Mention that when you do find a
Python programmer he'll probably be better than your average perl or
Java programmer. Make the argument that you get what you pay for, and
the extra expense of Python is worth it.

3 - With 2 out of the way consider rethinking how this three month
project should be done. If Python talent is scarce then it might make
more sense to develop in-house talent. This may no longer be a three
month project but down the road your in a more solid position, which
,if you think about it, is a basic part of what Python is all about.

4 - If 3 above is accepted in some form then consider training someone
in Python who has strong web skills. There are plenty of people who
know Apache, perl and Oracle and who have done web development. From
everything that I've seen and heard about Python, they could begin to
become productive in a few weeks.