wx.SystemSettings - GTK/Win32/Python variances

simo simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 8 14:03:20 EDT 2004

I'm trying to find the vertical scrollbar width across platforms in my
wxPython app, but am having troubles.

It seems that on Linux/wx2.4.2.4 these work:

  wx.SystemSettings_GetSystemMetric(wx.SYS_VSCROLL_X)
  wx.SystemSettings.GetSystemMetric(wx.SYS_VSCROLL_X)

The first is supposed to be wxPython-specific according to the docs.

Neither of these work on Windows/wx2.5.1.5, but this does:

  wx.SystemSettings.GetMetric(wx.SYS_VSCROLL_X)

Note the lack of the second "System".

Also, according to something I've read, "on GTK, the scrollbar is
included in the client size, but on Windows it is not included", which
seems to be crap, from my results, it seems it's not included on
either platform. Maybe this is outdated info and it's changed in 2.4+

I seem to recall that wx.Platform was being deprecated, so how do we
do platform checks to fix the things that vary between implementations
- I don't know what wxMAC does with scrollbars/GetClientSize() !