Difficulty Finding Python Developers

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Apr 16 07:23:48 EDT 2004

Paul Rubin wrote:

> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
>
>>I thought the discussion was a 3-month project.  To me, that's
>>definitely not something I would classify as a "serious production
>>project".  I know, I know, the length alone shouldn't be enough to
>>call it serious or production or not.  It's just not the term I
>>would apply to something that short.  "Experiment", maybe, or
>>"quickie", or "co-op student project" or something...
>
> It often means "we have a huge deadline in three months and are forced
> to bring in contractors because the in-house staff is and
> overstretched and not sufficiently up to speed on this stuff".  In
> which case the contractor better need zero ramp-up time.

Sure, it often means that, but here's the OP's wording to keep
us focused on what the discussion was really about:

   We've worked hard to convince our company to migrate our core
   applications to Python, and now we're looking for a Python developer
   in Atlanta to handle a short-term (approx. 3 month) project.

That's not a good way to describe either of your scenarios,
I believe.  I think it's more of an initial foray without the
company's future on the line type of thing...

-Peter