Working with bytes.

Adam T. Gautier adam_gautier at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 3 11:27:50 EST 2004

I have been unable to solve a problem.  I am working with MD5 signatures
trying to put these in a database.  The MD5 signatures are not generated
using the python md5 module but an external application that is
producing the valid 16 byte signature formats.  Anyway, these 16 byte
signatures are not nescarrally valid strings.  How do I manipulate the
bytes?  I need to concatenate the bytes with a SQL statement which is a
string.  This works fine for most of the md5 signatures but some blow up
with a TypeError.  Because there is a NULL byte or something else.  So I
guess my ultimate question is how do I get a prepared SQL statement to
accept a series of bytes?  How do I convert the bytes to a valid string
like:

'x%L9d\340\316\262\363\037\311\345<\262\357\215'

that can be concatenated?

Thanks