Python 2.3 on RedHat 9

simo simoninusa2001 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 20:01:01 EDT 2004

Bill Scherer <Bill.Scherer at VerizonWireless.com> wrote:

> > Did you install on top of Python 2.2 or did you install in a separate
> > directory (eg the default)?

> 2.3 prefix is /usr/local, RedHat's installed python prefix is /usr

Yes, and that seems to be the root of all evil for me - everything I
install wants to go into the /usr/<lib or bin>/python2.2 directories
instead of /usr/local/<lib or bin>/python2.3!

Forget the RPMs, compile everything from source is my advice (I
installed 2.3.3, VPython, Installer, wxPython, PyQt, SIPs,
wxGlade....)

What annoyed me was when I was evaluating LindowsOS and "apt-get
install libwxgtk24" installed everything for me (including Python
2.3.3!) in about 3 minutes as apposed to about 8 hours of compilation
time and hunting around for source tarballs! It was even easier that
Windows I think!