AOP use cases

Eric Eide eeide at cs.utah.edu
Fri Apr 23 13:04:29 EDT 2004

"Will" == Will Stuyvesant <hwlgw at hotmail.com> writes:

	Will> Forget about *real* real-world examples, these people just want
	Will> to get papers published.

Perhaps that explains IBM's excitement about aspect-oriented technologies, as
reported here:

	<http://news.com.com/2100-1008-5178164.html>
	<http://www.theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?l=AOSD2004-2>
	<http://www.sys-con.com/story/?storyid=44214>

	Will> Usability is considered of minor impportance.

Perhaps that explains why AspectJ 1.1 received a Jolt Productivity Award in the
"Languages and Development Environments" category, as reported here:

	<http://sdmagazine.com/jolts/>

	Will> I have come to the conclusion that AOP is nothing more than what
	Will> I expect from a decent programmer: a good, or at least
	Will> reasonable, design of software in the first place.

I would say that the *goal* of AOP is "nothing more" that what you would expect
from a good programmer: good implementation of good software designs.  AOP is a
an approach that augments existing approaches, such as OOP, for obtaining that
goal.

Eric.

PS --- ObPython: I think it would be great to see more Python involvement in
the AOP/AOSD community!