How's ruby compare to it older brother python

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Apr 26 18:40:36 EDT 2004

"Brandon J. Van Every" wrote:

> - Python has lotsa libraries but not everything.  Ask here regarding
> your specific needs.  Even if Python were the most elegant language in
> the world, that's not useful if you must write everything from scratch
> and don't have time to do it.

Pay close attention to this passage; it's relevant below.

> This is the kind of information you get by simply asking people and
> reading
> lotsa archives.  Some people say "Try it yourself!" is the only way to
> learn.  They are wrong, and they often don't value people's time.

"Try it yourself" is certainly not the only way to learn, but it should
be a more than sufficient one for a self-proclaimed accomplished
programmer.  Certainly it better values other people's time in order to
do the research you can do on your own and then come to them with any
additional -- far more intelligent -- questions you might have, rather
than punting on them and expecting them to do all your research for you.

> Take a spin by the Language
> Shootouts if you want to spin your head some more.
> http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/
> http://dada.perl.it/shootout/
> You need a filter of some kind for cutting down the options.

Above you say that what's most highly valued is development time
("that's not useful if you must write everything from scratch and don't
have time to do it").  So why are you referencing a shootout page that
characterizes only the speed at which programs execute, without any
information about how hard each program was to write?  You're telling
someone to value their own development time, and then pointing them to
something totally irrelevant to that point.

> I'm waiting for someone to say that my participation in this thread
> constitutes trolling.

Zzzzzzzz.

--
 __ Erik Max Francis && max at alcyone.com && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/  \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM erikmaxfrancis