Python GUI wrapper for a long operation

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Wed Apr 21 07:46:48 EDT 2004

In article <de21d442.0404201902.429a6b22 at posting.google.com>,
Oleg Paraschenko <usenet at datahansa.com> wrote:
>Hello Stewart,
>
>stewart at midwinter.ca (Stewart Midwinter) wrote in message
>news:<9396ba6f.0404160520.364699c4 at posting.google.com>...
>> good stuff!
>>
>> I'll study your app for some clues for my own situation. I want to
>> continually get data from a remote server, and then graph values that
>> I have received, probably using Tkinter canvas widget.  Understanding
>> threads will be helpful for me, so I'll study how you used threads in
>> your app.
>
>  I hope that the app will help you. Please beware that
>documentation describes how things are done, but does not explain
>why. It is so because some advanceed knowledge is assumed:
>
>* threads,
>* master-view-controller pattern (it is partially used in the code),
>* logging in a log4j style.
>
>> You may want to post your idea on the tkinter mailing list
			.
			.
			.
Note that it's not necessary to belong to the tkinter mailing list,
to post there (although the administrator has been *very* slow dur-
ing the last week about approving legitimate posts).

Also note that, under at least some circumstances, it is also *not*
necessary to rely on threads to keep a Tkinter GUI "live" during
long-running operations.  For now, I assert this without demonstra-
tion, simply because I can't make the time immediately to write up
a comprehensible and simple example.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net