pyKDE won't build

David Boddie davidb at mcs.st-and.ac.uk
Thu Apr 15 08:05:00 EDT 2004

Steven <spamtrap at nowhere.net> wrote in message news:<dRafc.246$Z07.240 at news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk>...
> Hi folks,
> I'm trying to install pyKDE.
> python, pyQT and sip are installed and working.
>
> I run python build.py and get the error shown at the end.
> sip -V gives 3.10.1 (3.10.1-192)
> PyQt version is 3.11

Unfortunately, PyKDE 3.8 isn't guaranteed to work with versions of SIP or
PyQt later than SIP 3.8 and PyQt 3.8. A later version of PyKDE which works
with both KDE 3.2 and more recent versions of PyQt and SIP is scheduled
for release in the near future. Meanwhile, you might want to try getting
hold of compatible versions of PyQt and SIP.

> From the traceback it detects the wrong sip version, but I don't know how to
> make it detect the correct version. There is only one version of sip on my
> system. (slackware linux 9.1)

This all sounds familiar. You may want to take a look at the PyKDE mailing
list archives at

    http://mats.imk.fraunhofer.de/pipermail/pykde/

or even subscribe and repost details of your problem there.

> I don't understand python, but need pyKDE to make something else work.

Hopefully, you won't need to understand Python to get it all working,
although you may wish to look at it more closely once you see what can be
achieved with Python, PyQt and PyKDE.

David