Why Activestate Python ?

asdf sdf asdf at asdf.com
Fri Apr 9 17:58:52 EDT 2004

Fuzzyman wrote:
> Again... a silly newbie question which might have an obvious
> answer.... but *why* is their an alternative distribution of python by
> activestate ?
>
> Apart fromt he fact that they bundle Mark Hammond's Windows Extensions
> with it (in the windows version) - what is to be gained from using
> their distributio instead of the 'normal' one ?
>
> Regards,
>

> Fuzzy
>
> http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantibots/pythonutils.html

i think there is an impression generally that Win32 is a harder build
platform for OSS projects than Linux-Unix.  Very unscientifically, I
think my reading of message boards supports that, at least for Apache,
Python, and their related modules.

I've never tried to build it myself.

The activestate distribution includes Help files in compiled html
format.  Which I do not prefer.  I just download the doc of interest
from the python site.