What is good about Prothon?

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Fri Apr 30 20:07:58 EDT 2004

Donn Cave wrote:

> He's saying `language that tries to please everybody [by adding
> features like copy instead of doing it right in the first place] ==
> C++' He could have a point.  (Is there going to be an optional
> __copy__ method?)

Yes, there already is a copy method.  It solves the problem he posted of AS
versus Prothon.  Adding copy is apparently turning Prothon into C++.  I've
never thought of something as simple as copy as being an evil thing.  (The
funny thing is I added copy as part of porting Python's methods. It has
nothing to do with Self or AS, but it happens to match his needs).

> He probably thought they were pearls of wisdom.

He and I have been going in circles for weeks.  I keep trying to get him to
identify what would really make him happy in Prothon and apparently having
anything that resembles the two-tiers of object creation of Python is an
anathema to him and has to be removed.  If it stays and there is anything
else in there that he'd like then it would be C++.

> Guess you don't want any more, anyway.

Depends on what you mean by pearls of wisdom.  I've been getting a lot of
great ideas from both Prothon and Python mailing lists.  I've been spending
a lot of time arguing with Has (we started on the Prothon lists) because he
has knowledge of AS and Self and would love to have him contribute.  So far
he will only tell me that Prothon sucks because of the two tiers and his
only recommendation is to treat my code like clay and tear it down and start
over.