Aspect Programming Module

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Wed Apr 14 20:04:12 EDT 2004

In article <slrnc7rh3n.6oq.joe at gate.notcharles.ca>,
 Joe Mason <joe at notcharles.ca> wrote:

> In article <cb035744.0404141130.170f51c4 at posting.google.com>, Will Stuyvesant
> wrote:
> >> [Alexandre Fayolle, being a good employee]
> >> You may want to try the logilab.aspects package, available at
> >> http://www.logilab.org/projects/aspects/
> >
> > I am afraid you are serious.
> >
> > AOP is *not needed* for Python programmers.  Plain and simple.
> >
> > Don't understand?  Try this:
> >
> > "AOP is a contrived way to get around the limitations of a statically
> > typed language."
>
> Care to explain that?  What I've seen of AOP seems like a very dynamic
> design philosophy.

Have you been through the materials referred to there?
I didn't spend much time on it, but I didn't immediately
recognize anything from the last time I heard about AOP,
so I was led to wonder if it's a different notion going
by the same name.

The one I remember allows objects to inherit from containers,
more or less.  Your widget for example might inherit some
drawing parameters from the window it belongs to.  I'm probably
getting it mostly wrong, but then I wasn't very excited about
the idea.  OOP is scary enough without compounding it this way.

   Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu