Prothon Prototypes vs Python Classes

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Tue Apr 6 05:43:32 EDT 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:05:44 -0500, rumours say that "John Roth"
<newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> might have written:

[tabs vs spaces]

>Reading the source for Idle is quite
>enlightening: there is a comment about Tk doing something
>rather absurd if you change the tab default.

Which comment, I believe, is quite old, and possibly refers to an old
glitch of Tk (ICBW of course).

I like tabs, although out of courtesy to the general consensus in the
python world, I filter any code I make available to the public,
replacing tabs with 4 spaces (at least I try to remember that :).

However, I have a little patch for EditorWindow.py which I apply in
every python installation I am going to use, inserting a
self.set_tabwidth(3) (which translates to a most pleasant width of 3 ens
for the font I use, which is proportional) somewhere in the __init__ of
the EditorWindow class.  I don't have any bad consequences (or they went
unnoticed).

I don't preach to use tabs over spaces.  I just believe in personal
freedom, as long as I respect commonly accepted rules.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
Ils sont fous ces Redmontains! --Harddix