A new OS

Corey Coughlin corey.coughlin at attbi.com
Mon Apr 12 13:55:55 EDT 2004

I think it sounds like a great idea.  I'd ultimately like to go a
direction like that at some point.  One of the biggest problems with
existing operating systems (like Windows or Linux) is that they are
for the most part built on C, which then dictates what the low level
calls look like, the memory architecture, and so on.  Writing an OS in
Python could give you a new perspective on mapping a high level
architecture onto a machine.  Imagine, for instance, an OS
architecture with a genuine object hierarchy, where low level details
get abstracted into a machine level that can be swapped out to conform
to different processor architectures, where garbage collection is an
OS service, and maybe the filesystem is actually an object persistance
system, so every file is actually an object with type instead of a bag
of bytes, and then imagine how easy it would be to add advanced
indexing a la Chandler to it.  Could we then distribute programs as
only python bytecode, getting platform independence?  Would it be
easier adding security using higher levels of abstraction?  How about
creating a complete network OS?  Would that be easier in python?  In
general, as you abstract complex os services into simpler python code,
would it be easier to expand the capabilities of your os?  I can't
imagine that it would be harder.  It could be quite an interesting
project, if conducted with the aim of not just making yet another
generic operating system, but with the aim of creating a truly
pythonic OS.  That would be great.