Capturing stdout incrementally

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Tue Apr 6 20:22:33 EDT 2004

In article <uwu4szuga.fsf at fitlinxx.com>,
David Bolen  <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote:
>Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> writes:
>
>> > I am on Windows by the way, so the utilities are printing to the windows
>> > command shell.
			.
			.
			.
>In general, the only way to fix this is through the program being
>called, and not the program doing the calling.  In some cases, the
			.
		[still more
		true stuff]
			.
			.
>On Unix, a classic way around code for which you have no source is to
>run it under expect or some other pty-simulating code rather than a
>simple pipe with popen.  I'm not sure if there's a good pty/expectish
>module that works well under Windows (where simulating what a
>"console" is can be tougher).
			.
			.
			.
This press release just came today:
  VANCOUVER, BC - April 6, 2004 - ActiveState, a
  leading provider of professional tools for programmers,
  today announced Expect for Windows 1.0, releasing the
  real power of Expect to the Windows platform. ActiveState
  Expect for Windows is up-to-date, quality assured, and ...

It's not just a press release, by the way;
it's a real product, and a good one, if
limited by the difficulties of Windows.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>