curses and unicode

Gandalf gandalf at geochemsource.com
Thu Apr 15 02:46:55 EDT 2004

  Hi All!

I have to write an application that can display Chinese charaters in
text mode under unix. I found several text mode console programs (like
zhcon and big5d).
They are able to use English and Chinese characters at the same time, in
text mode. (In fact, they are using graphics, but they emulate a
standard terminal.)
Do somebody know how can I display chinese characters from curses (using
one of these console programs)? I'm sure it can be done. For example,
midnight commander or lynx can do this:

http://zhcon.sourceforge.net/images/scr_mc.gif

But I do not know how to do this from Python. I only have the curses
module and the addstr method. The addstr method does not support unicode.
Should I send a special character sequence with addstr? I'm totally
lost. I tried to read the documentation of zhcon but it is in Chinese
which I
do not understand. :-( Please help me.