ANNOUNCE: 'goto' for Python

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Sun Apr 4 11:41:59 EDT 2004

[Tim]
> Guido has already accepted your module for inclusion in Python 2.4, and I
> expect he'll use his time machine then to ensure that it's always been part
> of Python.

Great!  That will have saved me a lot of work, once the new time-line
comes into effect.  I can re-use the time for the next job - enhancing
Python's parser to allow Duff's Device.

> [Explanation of numeric labels snipped]
> Your introduction of alphanumeric labels to Python is already far advanced.

Ah, OK, good.  I won't have to re-learn anything when the new feature goes
into Python 0.1.

> I must say, though, that the restriction to 5 digits in Fortran had the nice
> Pythonic effect of discouraging a subroutine from containing more than a
> hundred thousand branch targets

That's a good point, but not really applicable here.  I haven't limited
the number of labels, partly because I don't want any B&D to the feature,
and partly because alphanumeric labels ought to be more differentiable
than numeric ones.

> Full speed ahead!

Or backwards, or in fact to pretty much anywhere!

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com