A new OS

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Mon Apr 26 01:25:52 EDT 2004

> Is it possible to program a python virtual machine into an EEPROM
> (eletrically erasable programmable read-only memory) and then set the
> BIOS to access this VM as the bootloader? So in directly, we have a very
> low level python VM in the system when it boots up......

Two key issues:
Memory; depending on your EEPROM, you may or may not be able to fit a
Python VM.
OS Services; traditionally, Python has relied on the operating system
for various services that are important to a large number of nontrivial
applications (sockets, filesystem interfaces, malloc, etc.)

  - Josiah