why is python better than eg. smalltalk?? no one has any solid arguments! you should all go to church with all that religious talk!

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Apr 10 23:05:29 EDT 2004

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
> I found my editor fifteen years ago.  Guess which it is.

My guess is emacs, in which case I've got 6 or 7 years on you :-)

> (The point being that there are only two editors still in regular use
> that were available fifteen years ago -- and those two editors are
> still ubiquitous now.  Doesn't matter much which you pick, they'll
> still be available fifteen years in the future.)

I suspect you're right, but I don't necessarily think that's a good
thing.  Both emacs and vi have had long runs, but it's logical to assume
that better things will come along.

I know it's possible to handle both news and email inside emacs, but I
use dedicated GUI apps for both of those tasks.  I still use emacs for
programming, but there's some really good IDE's out there, and my guess
is they will become more and more the norm.  And while I curse and wail
about how bad MS Word is, I also realize that troff just isn't happening
any more (I did plenty of cursing and wailing about troff back in the
"good old days").