calling functions at the same time

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Apr 30 22:45:15 EDT 2004

In article <c6unuq$d0f$1 at solaris.cc.vt.edu>, Bart Nessux wrote:

> I need to ping 4 hosts at exactly the same time from the  same machine

That simply can't be done.

> (I plan to timestamp the pings) to test and measure network
> conditions over different routes to different hosts. Putting
> all the ping hosts in a list and looping through it is not a
> fair or balanced way to do this because of the time
> differences.

Exactly how many packets do you think are allowed on the wire
at once with Ethernet??

> I mean it to mean: at the *exact* same time... concurrently. Like runners
> starting a race together.

Not physically possible unless you've got 4 cpus with, 4
separate PCI buses, 4 Ethernet boards on 4 different Ethernet
segments, and some very special HW/SW to keep things
synchronized.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm ANN LANDERS!! I
                                  at               can SHOPLIFT!!