Automatic, portable optimization of global access

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Sat Apr 17 09:17:55 EDT 2004

[Paul Rubin]
> I'm saying your optimization is important enough that it should be run
> on everything, except the rare cases where it's invalid to do so ...

Thanks.

You might be interested in the latest refinement.  Whole modules can
now be optimized by just adding two lines:

    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/277940

I tried it out on some standard library modules.  It was easy to add
and the testsuites ran flawlessly:  asynchat, asyncore, calendar, csv,
difflib, dis, optparse, pickle, Queue, random, sets, sre, sre_compile,
sre_parse, textwrap, unittest, urllib2, urlparse, and warnings.

Raymond Hettinger