equivalent to Tcl 'after' command?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 22 18:52:57 EDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 17:42:37 GMT, Mark Harrison <mh at pixar.com>
wrote:
> I'm writing some event-driven programs, and I would like
> to do the equivalent of the Tcl 'after' command, e.g.:
>
> 	after 1000 {puts "one second has elapsed"}
>
> 1.  What's the most canonical way of doing this?

I suspect its to start a thread that in turn starts with
a sleep command. Not very pretty but approximately the same.

> 2.  What's the best reference that talks about non-gui event loop
>     programming in Python?

My book(paperversion only discusses them briefly but its hardly a
rference, more an intro to the convcept for beginners...

Its not quite the same as a pure event loop environment but you
could check out the cmd module for a text based command loop/menu
system. If you haven't already....

HTH,

Alan G.
Author of the Learn to Program website