Don't understand wxPython ids

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Apr 29 00:47:51 EDT 2004

Roger Binns wrote:
> Here is how I use the same id in multiple locations.  I can have a
> menu entry, a toolbar button, and a button inside some HTML all
> invoke the same function.  The only coupling between them is
> the id number.

Giving an identifier to a command so that it can be
invoked in multiple ways is a good idea, but it would
be much more Pythonic if a *name* could be used as the
identifier rather than a number.

Use of a number here seems to be entirely the result
of blindly carrying over a feature of the C++-oriented
API into Python.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,