slightly OT: BUT NEEDs to be said

Steve dippyd at yahoo.com.au
Tue Apr 6 03:24:10 EDT 2004

Greg Ewing wrote:

> Aha! I've been trying to decide what to name the next language
> I invent, and now I know. It will be called:
>
>    Buffy

Nice choice! But I think "buffy" would surely have to
be some sort of command-line buffer tool, or better
still, anti-buffer overflow security software. Buffy
could save the world from security holes.

If you ask me, I think "xander" sounds more like a
computer language, but "willow" would probably be more
appropriate. And of course then when people write in to
complain about how politically incorrect it is to name
a programming language for a red-haired Jewish lesbian
witch, we can deflect criticism by telling them it is
named after the movie of the same name about the Little
People.

--
Steven D'Aprano