Automated installation framework

Nikolai Kirsebom nikolai.kirsebom.NOJUNK at siemens.no
Fri Apr 30 07:41:49 EDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:36:02 +0200, Thomas Heller <theller at python.net>
wrote:

>Is it this that you have in mind?
>
>Martin von Löwis, packing Python with Microsoft Installer:
>http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/44/
>
>Thomas

Not really.  I'm looking for a system which can be used to install an
application in an environment.  As an example:

Machine #1:
Ensure Windows 2003 server SP3 installed.
Install SQL Server 2003
Add SQL Server Package X
Install Server part of application A

Machine #2:
Ensure Windows 2000 with SP 2a installed
Install other part of application A

Machine #3:
Ensure Windows 2000 with SP 2a installed
Install IBM WebSphere
etc.

In principle, there is no Python involved except the managing of the
installation.  There should be no requirement that Python must be
installed on the target machines (if this is possible).  I do not
expect to have a system which will handle all the individual steps,
but a system which assists in the process would probably be of great
help.

Nikolai