A python telnet entry level question

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Sat Apr 24 18:41:23 EDT 2004

In article <c685ob$da5$1 at scotsman.ed.ac.uk>,
Eddie Corns <eddie at holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
			.
>You are maybe being too specific in what you match for.  At least one of my
>machines prompts:
>
>  Pasword for <username>:
>
>rather than just "Password: ".  I tend to match things like
>
>"ogin"  (in case of Login vs login)
>"assword" (will this get filtered out by censoring s/w?)
>
>Eddie

This sort of tolerance can lead to its own problems (though
I entirely agree you're right to recommend it).  Some logins
are so sensitive to timing (in essence) that matching
"assword" rather than "assword:" results in the telnetd
ignoring the first character or two of response.

So what to do?  At this level, there is *no* good answer.
The most enlightened thought is simply to recognize that
telnet forces one into a cascade of heuristic hacks.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net