datetimes, tzinfo and gmtime epoch

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 16 15:40:02 EDT 2004

    Robert> John Hunter wrote:
    >> I have a python2.3 datetime instance and a tzinfo instance (eg
    >> Eastern from the python library reference).
    >>
    >> What is the best way to convert that datetime instance to
    >> seconds since the epoch, gmtime?

    Robert> You might try time.mktime(t), where t is a 9-tuple as
    Robert> desribed at:

Yes, but you still have to account for the offset to gmtime, which is
dependent on daylight savings time.

I *think* this is correct, where x is a datetime instance and tz is a
tzinfo instance.

 offset = self.tz.utcoffset(x).days*SEC_PER_DAY + self.tz.utcoffset(x).seconds
 gmepoch = time.mktime(x.timetuple())+offset

JDH