Is Perl *that* good? (was: How's ruby compare to it older bro

leeg leeg at teaching.physics.ox.ac.uk.valid
Mon Apr 26 12:36:04 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:

> leeg wrote:
>
>> Peter Hansen wrote:
>>
>>>I guess it would be interesting to pose the question back to
>>>them "If you could not use regexes in Perl, would you still
>>>like to program in it?" or "If you couldn't use mysql in PHP
>>>would you still use it?"
>>>
>>>What similar question, if any, would be a difficult one for
>>>us Python types?
>>>

>> "If you couldn't write any program your imagination came up with in
>> Python, or couldn't at least prototype it, or it took longer to write in
>> Python than it did in C or Objective-C, would you still use it?"
>
> I guess it's pretty easy to come up with such questions if
> you leave it wide open.
>
> Perhaps I should have said "limit yourself to questions involving
> key pieces of functionality, external libraries, or specific
> syntax" or something like that...

OK, fair enough.  In that case, there is no reason for me to be using Python
(except that it's easy to write and easy to read, which is good enough for
me).  I use POSIX-ey stuff and interfaces to lumps of code written in other
languages, so Python could be Perl or Objective-C or C or Pascal or
anything as far as I care; I just happen to be able to write correct code
fairly quickly in Python.  I hope that makes sense :-)
--
Graham Lee
I am leeg, for we are many