Aspect Programming Module

Joe Mason joe at notcharles.ca
Thu Apr 15 15:38:29 EDT 2004

In article <407E394B.2050709 at mxm.dk>, Max M wrote:
> Hung Jung Lu wrote:
>
>> Python does not even have codeblocks. So how can you say AOP is not
>> needed for Python programmers?
>
> I am probably rather dense, but I have not seen aspect oriented examples
>   that could not have been done with simple mixins.
>
> Isn't it needed in Java because it doesn't have multiple inheritance?

AOP is a design technique, not just a set of tools.  If it's true that
you can just use simple mixins in Python to get the same effect as
ApectJ, then you can say, "AOP is implemented on Python with mixins, but
Java requires language extensions such as AspectJ."  That doesn't mean
Python doesn't "need" AOP - nobody really "needs" it, they just find it
a useful way of approaching problems, and moving to Python doesn't make
it a less useful approach.  In fact, if it's easier on Python, it's more
useful.

Joe