How's ruby compare to it older brother python

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Mon Apr 26 03:19:18 EDT 2004

>in term of its OO features, syntax consistencies, ease of use, and their
>development progress. I have not use python but heard about it quite often;
>and ruby, is it mature enough to be use for developing serious application,
>e.g web application as it has not many features in it yet.
>
>I've given up on Perl for its ugly syntax and it is not the easiest language
>to learn. How about PHP?

IMO Ruby is closer to Perl than Python as far as clearness of it's
syntax. I really like Python better. PHP isn't as garbled as Perl but it
isn't as flexible either and it's still not nearly as clean as Python.
Of the four languages (Perl, Python, PHP, and Ruby) I find Python the
easiest to work in. I use Python for command-line programming, web
programming (mod_python), and GUI programming (wxPython and Pygame) and
find it a good general purpose language.