Is classless worth consideration

David MacQuigg dmq at gain.com
Wed Apr 28 21:07:31 EDT 2004

On 27 Apr 2004 16:34:56 -0700, has.temp2 at virgin.net (has) wrote:

>David MacQuigg <dmq at gain.com> wrote in message news:<bniq80hiib0gauiltuntk9jvia2getbnj4 at 4ax.com>...
>
>> Example of Simplified Classes ( Prototypes )
>
>[SNIP]
>
>Class-based OOP by any other name. But then, I've pointed this out
>already. See Emperor, clothes; lack of.
>
>Here; while I don't claim them to be paragons of programming, I
>suggest taking a look at my old AppleScript libraries at
><http://applemods.sourceforge.net/>. (Note: scripts are compiled, so
>you'll need a Mac to view source.) See Types, HTMLTemplate and ASTest
>for examples of OO programming that isn't class-fixated. Might lend
>some useful perspective.

The problem we Python programmers are having is understanding the
fundamental advantage of eliminating classes and working only with
instances.  The theoretical discussions put me to sleep.  I can't see
the point of the examples above.  What we need is a simple use case.

I've included the ability to clone one instance from another in my
"Python 3" proposal
http://ece.arizona.edu/~edatools/Python/PrototypeSyntax.htm
This will allow the user to completely ignore classes, and just make
one instance from another, then another, and so on, modifying each
instance along the way, whenever the urge is felt.

Here is what I have so far in the Pros and Cons on this feature:

Pro:  Allows "on-the-fly" programming style with no classes.
Con:  Can lead to more undisciplined programming.

Perhaps you can help us here.

-- Dave