CamelCase versus wide_names (Prothon)

Andrew Henshaw andrew.henshaw at gtri.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 16 14:07:35 EDT 2004

François Pinard wrote:
...snip...
> Given full power and choice, what I would prefer is that identifiers be
> allowed to contain spaces -- would they have to be unbreakable spaces.
> That would be the most legible avenue, especially given that my editors
> and enscripters would then bold or colour Python/Prothon keywords, making
> it clear the extent of each identifier.  Take this very message, save
> it in two files, then edit the first copy to replace all spaces within
> a sentence with underlines, and edit the second copy to replace all
> spaces within a sentence with the empty string, but capitalising the
> next character.  My guess, which some might challenge, is that there
> will almost be a concensus that the first copy is easier to decipher.
>
> Legibility should be the overwhelming concern.

Your comments bring to mind something that might be nice to see in an
editor:  black text with automatic light gray underscores.  This might
provide a less jarring alternative to the full underscore, but there would
be no confusion as to whether or not the separator was meant to be a space.

postscript: just tried it in my word processor and it's a pretty good effect

--
Andy