Looking for Python Definition

David M. Cook davecook at nowhere.net
Wed Apr 14 02:35:41 EDT 2004

In article <ZvSdnbu-i7FDF-Hd4p2dnA at comcast.com>, Dave wrote:

> Python22 is installed on my WINXP Home PC.
> I have no idea what is does, or why it is installed.

You mean they didn't also install Perl, awk, sed, bash, grep, find, and gcc?*
Any modern computer will ship with at least 40GB of drive space, and those
things are free, so why not?

Python is an interpreted programming language.  You're vendor probably
needed a Python interpreter for some extra functionality.  Or maybe they are
just really thoughtful folks, because they have made it easier for you to
run Python programs written by other people (not that installing Python is
hard), and also easier for people who want to write Python programs for you.

*To remedy these crippling deficiencies, go to http://cygwin.com

Dave Cook