AOP use cases

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Apr 22 06:19:49 EDT 2004

Jacek Generowicz wrote:
(a lengthy reply, and thank you for taking the time!)
> Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> writes:
>>I would be very interested to hear some real-world and real useful
>>use cases for AOP as well.
>
> AOP is about separation of concerns. Let me repeat that: AOP is about
>           SEPARATION OF CONCERNS.
[snip]
> As for real world examples ... if you think of AOP as separation of
> concerns which you want to be weaved together, then I am sure that you
> will be able to come up with plenty of excellent real world examples
> yourself.

Unfortunately, that's just my point.  So far I haven't been able
to do that, it seems.  The example posted previously with the
"synchronization wrapper" approach is, however, quite understandable
and comes from real-world experience that many of us share.  Is
that AOP?  Is it not AOP?  If it's an application of AOP principles,
then is AOP anything other than a good practice which some of us
have been doing for years, prettied up with a nice name.  In other
words, Just Another Pattern?

Jacek, I appreciate the attempt to clarify, but so far it seems to
me that *everyone* who talks about AOP just talks in abstract terms
and isn't willing (or able?) to pin it down with *real* real-world
examples, just "imagine this" or "wouldn't it be nice if".  You
seem to be someone who understands AOP well: do you use it?  Could
you please provide an example from your own uses which demonstrates
the effectiveness of AOP versus "not AOP" in the same way that the
synchronization example posted earlier is clearly better when done
as a wrapper than with the code duplicated everywhere (i.e. with
the "concerns" not separated)?

-Peter