print u"\u0432": why is this so hard? UnciodeEncodeError

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Apr 12 14:27:45 EDT 2004

Skip Montanaro wrote:
>     Martin> I wonder how much would break if Python would assume the
>     Martin> terminal encoding is UTF-8 on Darwin. Do people use different
>     Martin> terminal encodings?
>
> I generally use xterm instead of Terminal.app.  I think it's encoding is
> latin-1.

Not on OS X. Terminal.App is a software package completely different
from xterm. For one thing, xterm is for X11, whereas Terminal.App is
for Window Server (or whatever the name of the Apple GUI is).

It may be that Apple has changed the defaults at some time, but
atleast on my installation, the default encoding of Terminal.App for
all users is UTF-8.

Regards,
Martin