print u"\u0432": why is this so hard? UnciodeEncodeError

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Fri Apr 9 11:52:47 EDT 2004

In article <c55tkv$3s4$05$2 at news.t-online.com>,
 "Martin v. Lowis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> David Eppstein wrote:
> > Well, no.
> >
> > Python 2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11)
> > [GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)] on darwin

> > 'US-ASCII'
>
> You did not follow Hye-Shik's instructions closely enough. You
> failed to set the LANG environment variable before starting Python.

A system that requires me to manually set the LANG environment variable
is no better than a system that requires me to manually define an
encoding once in Python.  It doesn't seem to answer your question about
automatic determination of the Terminal's encoding.

--
David Eppstein                      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/