Python conference slogan

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Apr 1 08:43:41 EST 2004

In article <c4glmq$j1i$1 at swifty.westend.com>,
Peter Maas  <fpetermaas at netscape.net> wrote:

>I surrender immediately and have to admit that I don't get it (One
>Nation Under Under Python). Google was no help. I couldn't find the
>source, only echoes (seems to be a wide spread joke pattern in the
>US). Care to give us ignorants a hint?

It's from the Pledge of Allegiance:

      I Pledge Allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
       and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God,
               indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The "under under" part of course refers to Python's special methods.

See also http://history.vineyard.net/pledge.htm

IIRC, there's currently a court case to remove the "under God" part.

"usenet imitates usenet"  --Darkhawk