spherical coordinates

Bram Stolk bram at nospam.sara.nl
Wed Apr 14 11:01:18 EDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:06:49 GMT
"Paul McGuire" <ptmcg at austin.rr._bogus_.com> wrote:

> I can imagine that all these conversions could be a performance killer if
> done entirely in Python, and could stand to be done as a C extension.  This
> is probably why the OP was asking if such a package already exists.

Well, performance is not my first concern.
I just want encapsulated classes for convenience, that handle all
sorts of spherical coordinate specifics.

For instance... interpolation between spherical coordinates. You can avoid
going to/from cartesian if you properly handle the wrap-around at 180 and 360
degrees.

Also, I want to be able to recursively subdivide the theta,phy space, and
do stratification in theta,phy space, and al sorts of other operations, on
the surface of a given sphere.

An encapsulating class for these kind of coordinates would be a help, I
thought.

  Bram

 Bram Stolk, VR Engineer.
 SARA Academic Computing Services Amsterdam, PO Box 94613, 1090 GP  AMSTERDAM
 email: bram at nospam.sara.nl   Phone +31-20-5923059  Fax +31-20-6683167

"For the costs of subsidized agriculture in the EU, we can have all 56 million
 European cows fly around the world. First Class." - J. Norberg