(For gurus) Embed functions in webpages like in PHP?

Milan Holzäpfel contact.see.sig at localhost.localdomain
Fri Apr 16 07:17:48 EDT 2004

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:38:16 +0200
Robert Ferber <rob at nospam.net> wrote:

[...]
> As far as I've seen, there is no way to embed Python-code in a webpage
> with"<? ?>" or anything equivalent and I don't see any other way to
> solve this problem.
>
> But maybe somebody else does, I'd apreceate all ideas,
>
> Thanks a lot

I'm sure you'll find something on the sites wilk posted, but I just
remembered that I recently read an article which is exactly this done
in: <URL:http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/web/library/us-gentoo/>
(scroll down to "Technology demo: pytext" if you don't want to read the
whole thing)

I think one should be able to use the "pytext interpreter" as
interpreter for a CGI script. (or use
"#!/usr/bin/python /path/to/pytext" as first line of the CGI script...
or do whatever, just in case one doesn't know :-) )

(If anyone wants all four parts of the article nicely linked on one
page, here it is: <URL:http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/site.xml>)

But I think you could also use a script which reads the database result
from a file and also does the banner rotation or whatever (so you don't
have your result in the script which is called, but you read the result
from a file nevertheless)

Regards,
Milan

- --

Milan Holzäpfel alias jagdfalke alias jag

Öff. GnuPG-Schlüssel / GnuPG Publiy Key
<URL:http://con.mjh.name/>

GnuPG Fingerabdruck / GnuPG Fingerprint
4C8A 5FAF 5D32 6125 89D1  0CE5 DB0C AF4F 6583 7966

Hinweis:
  Die Domain jagdfalke.net gehört mir nicht mehr wirklich.
  Deshalb bitte keine jagdfalke.net-eMail-Adressen mehr
  benutzen. Neue Kontaktmöglichkeiten gibts auf
  <URL:http://con.mjh.name/>, meine neue Domain ist mjh.name.

NOTE:
  I don't really own the domain jagdfalke.net any logner.
  Therefore don't use any jagdfalke.net eMail-addresses
  any more. You can look at <URL:http://con.mjh.name/> for new
  adresses, my new domain is mjh.name.

Hinweis 2:
  Wenn sich hier nicht findet, was in der Absender-Zeile ver-
  sprochen wurde, dann schau mal ein paar Zeilen weiter oben ;-)

Note 2:
  If you can't find what I've promised in the From-line, then
  then have a look at some of the lines above ;-)